I’m taking a break from the usual world-building info, book reviews, and story bits to summarize this year. A ton has happened to this little blog, and even though I’m one of those perfectionists who are always striving to be better, sometimes it’s good to look back and rejoice in the past as well.
Top Fives in 2015
Media (books, movies, television shows – purely personal taste, please check out my book reviews for many other worthy reads)
- Jupiter Ascending – yes, it’s a mess. But it is a creative mess that dared to use a female main character and nailed her motivations (and side-stepped the typical tough-girl or super-shrieky damsel in distress).
- Zero World – definitely some flaws, but I loved reading a strong male and female dual-protagonist story.
- Beggar Magic – entirely, perfectly charming – I’m a huge sucker for fairy tales told with simplicity and intelligence.
- Inside Out – Pixar, you did it again. And I cried. Two tears. Shhh, don’t tell anyone, pigs will fly next.
- Wayward Pines – proof that as long as you let M. Night Shyamalan behind the camera, but have someone else write the script, things do work out.
- How Can It Be – Lauren Daigle
- Ghost – Ella Henderson
- Wexford Carol – Traditional Irish Carol
- Hope of Morning – Icon for Hire
- Fight Song/Amazing Grace – The Piano Guys
- Camp Machen Science Camp, McDowell, VA – Botany (and Engineering)
- ESL Camp – Quebec City, Quebec (great experience, ESL is fantastic)
- Wheatland PCA, Lancaster, PA (Julia Busko’s wedding!)
- Realm Makers, St. Louis, Missouri (awesome times)
- Movie Theaters – to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens!
- Sheetz tator tots with garlic sauce (tator tots are one of my favorite food groups)
- Roast duck (awesome Christmas dinner)
- Cheese curds (we need to have these more in the US)
- Brussel sprouts (roasted in bacon fat, and once roasted in duck fat)
- Taco spring rolls (seriously, you need to make these sometime, if possible)
- Took a hiatus to figure out what on earth I was really doing with my writing and this blog, including how to better serve you awesome readers. This was super important, and I highly recommend it. Taking time away to rethink your creative process, no matter what you create, is really valuable.
- Planned out a new, ‘punks-based fantasy world for a fairy tale series–hugely excited about this!
- Self-published World-Building From the Inside Out – thanks so much to all of you who have been reading, commenting, and sharing the blog posts and eBook!
- Wrote The Eimiror Accords: Reckoning, and revised it. Over and over. And then began writing Book Two That Is Book One, The Eimiror Accords: Death Knell.
- Wrote and self-published World-Building From the Inside Out: Workbook
Praise God for an awesome year! There were definitely some steep learning curves and some low points, but I’m grateful for the time. Please feel free to comment below with any of your “Fives” from the year — or link to your blog post of year-end highlights! I love reading them!